Friday, March 18, 2011

Little steps...

... bring about purrs and licks!

Well, it's been 8 days since the latest litter of foster kittens came to stay, and progress is slowly being made. All 3 girls are happily settled and will start purring at the slightest of touches, sometimes if you even go NEAR them without actually touching, they'll start up their little motors. Although they definitely love attention though, they are still showing no signs of  being interested in actual cuddles. Everytime they're picked up, they give you an indignant look, and start to struggle to be put down on the floor again. It may just be just a kitten thing, but maybe not. They are very well toilet trained with using their dirtbox (but MAN can those 4 furballs POOP! And they always seem to have to do the smelliest ones when one of us is in the washhouse too.. esp if we're in the shower! UGH!), and know the sound of the food bowl being filled, although we are learning to fill it up OUTSIDE of the washhouse, because otherwise they have an annoying habit of trying to get to the food before you've even put the bowl down... and they often have no problems using human limbs to assist them in reaching their goal! NOT COMFORTABLE!

Little black man however, who has now been nicknamed Spook because of his rather timid personality, is going to take quite a bit more time I think before he becomes as friendly as his sisters. BUT! He is definitely making progress! I've had several days in a row now when I've been able to approach him, with him staying relaxed and letting me pat him... even starting to purr! The 1st 2 days he started letting me pat him without freaking out and running away, he licked me. The next 2 days I got purring, but no licking. Today... I got both! He's also gotten to the point where he will continue playing with his sisters when I come in... my appearance before always sent him scuttling as fast as his little legs could take him to his preferred hiding spot between the washing machine and cupboards. Now, he'll sit/lie still and just watch me, looking pretty relaxed, or, if he was racing around being an idiot with the girls, he'll look at me, then continue. So this wee man is definitely coming along nicely... but I don't think he's going to be a quick "easy tame" case like his sisters.

It's these small steps and little tidbits of hard won progress though that make me love this whole fostering adventure! Watching this uncertain soul start to emerge from his shell, letting a human near, then letting one pat him.. responding with licks and purrs... it's these rewards that make the heartache from times like the last litter easier to bear.
With all 4 kittens though, we've noticed they seem to react differently to me than they do to my Partner. It makes me wonder if they (or at least the wee boy, Spook) have been abused in the past before coming to the SPCA, and if so, if it involved a male. They all seem more hesitant about letting my partner interact with them, and Spook doesn't seem to relax at all when he's in the room. They are slowly learning not to run away though when our 2yr old comes in wanting to give them pats, but still a little freaked by him (not surprised.. he's rather full on!). They have also met our 2 cats, from a distance. There was a bit of hissing and growling... but it was more from our boys than the kittens. The little black and white girl turned out to be the boldest of the 4 in regards to the other cats and wanted to go and say hi.

I will try and get some new photos up in the next couple of days, now that they're a bit more settled, and hopefully a few more days will bring about some more good progress with lil Spook. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment